The most noticeable change are the rate display in Airodump-ng. Previously, it went up to 54Mbit. Now, it takes into account the complexity of 802.11n/ac and calculates the maximum rate that can be achieved on the AP. Expect 802.11ax rates in the next release. We brought basic UTF-8 support for ESSID and if you ever come across WPA3 or OWE, this will be displayed correctly as well. Airodump-ng has had the ability to read PCAP files for quite some time, which can be handy to generate one of the CSV/netxml or other output formats available. However, signal levels were not displayed; this has now been fixed. A new option has been added to read the files in realtime, instead of reading all at once.
Huge improvements have been done under the hood as well. Code has been cleaned up, deduplicated (Pull Request 2010), reorganized (Pull Request 2032), which lead to a lot of fixes.
This reorganization also updated the build system, which now requires automake 1.14+. This was a problem on CentOS 7, but we provide a script to install these requirements from source to solve the issue; although automake 1.14 (and other dependencies) have been released 6+ years ago, CentOS is the only distribution that doesn't have it, and it was decided to provide a script to install the requirements was a small price to pay to improve and simplify the build system.
Other tools received fixes as well:
- Along with a few fixes, Airmon-ng now handles more network managers, and persistent ones; no need to run airmon-ng check kill a few times for the network managers that keep restarting.
- Airdecap-ng can now decrypt both sides of the conversation when WDS is in use.
- As usual, we updated WPE patches for freeradius and HostAPd.
- Python 2 is dead as of January 1st, and now all our scripts support Python 3. If you are still running Python 2, don't worry, they are still backward compatible.
- Aircrack-ng contains fixes for a few crashes and other regressions, as well as improved CPU detection in some cases (-u option).
We have been working on our infrastructure and have a buildbot server with quite a few systems. If you head up to our buildbot landing page, you can see the extent of the build system: 14 systems to test build on top of AppVeyor, TravisCI, and Coverity Scan, plus one to automatically package it and upload packages to packagecloud.io. It gets triggered every time we push code to our GitHub repository and you can see the details of each build for each commit on GitHub. We have an earlier blog post where you can find some details of our CI/CD.
We are currently working on bringing Mac infrastructure as well.
We keep working on our automated tests, and a few have been added; this release also brings integration tests (16 for now) to automatically test different features of airodump-ng, aireplay-ng, airbase-ng and others.
In case you find security issues in Aircrack-ng or our domains, we recently added a security policy to explain how to report them. It is on GitHub, on our website, as well as security.txt.
And finally, what you've been waiting for, the full changelog:
- Aircrack-ng: Added support for MidnightBSD
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed ARM processors display with -u
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed AVX-512F support
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed cracking speed calculation
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed cracking WEP beyond 10k IVS
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed creating new session and added test case
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed encryption display in some cases when prompting for network to crack
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed exiting Aircrack-ng in some cases
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed logical and physical processor count detection
- Aircrack-ng: Fixed PMKID length check
- Aircrack-ng: Various fixes and improvements to WPA cracking engine and its performance
- Airdecap-ng: Decrypt both directions when WDS is in use
- Airdecap-ng: Fixed decrypting WPA PCAP when BSSID changes
- Airgraph-ng: Added support for WPA3
- Airgraph-ng: Switch to argparse
- Airmon-ng: Added detection for wicd, Intel Wireless Daemon (iwd), net_applet
- Airmon-ng: Handle case when avahi keeps getting restarted
- Airmon-ng: Indicates when interface doesn't exist
- Airodump-ng: Added autocolorization interactive key
- Airodump-ng: Added option to read PCAP in realtime (-T)
- Airodump-ng: Added PMKID detection
- Airodump-ng: Added support for GMAC
- Airodump-ng: Added support for WPA3 and OWE (Enhanced Open)
- Airodump-ng: Basic UTF-8 support
- Airodump-ng: Checked management frames are complete before processing IE to avoid switch from WEP to WPA
- Airodump-ng: Display signal when reading from PCAP
- Airodump-ng: Fixed netxml output with hidden SSID
- Airodump-ng: Improved rates calculation for 802.11n/ac
- Airtun-ng: Fixed using -p with -e
- Autoconf: Fixed order of ssl and crypto libraries
- dcrack: Fixed client reporting benchmark
- dcrack: Now handles chunked encoding when communicating (default in Python3)
- Freeradius-WPE: Updated patch for v3.0.20
- General: Added NetBSD endianness support
- General: Added python3 support to scripts
- General: Added script to update autotools on CentOS 7
- General: Added security policy to report security issues
- General: Reorganizing filesystem layout (See PR 2032), and switch to automake 1.14+
- General: Convert to non-recursive make (part of PR 2032)
- General: Deduplicating functions and code cleanups
- General: Fixed packaging on cygwin due to openssl library name change
- General: Fixed SPARC build on Solaris 11
- General: Removed coveralls.io
- General: Updated dependencies in README.md/INSTALLING
- General: Use upstream radiotap libary, as a sub-tree
- General: various fixes and improvements (code, CI, integration tests, coverity)
- HostAPd-WPE: Updated for v2.9
- Manpages: Fixes and improvements
- Tests: Added Integration tests for aireplay-ng, airodump-ng, aircrack-ng, airbase-ng, and others
- Tests: Added tests for airdecap-ng, aircrack-ng