Compared to the last stable, 1.1, almost 8 years ago, this release has a huge amount of improvements and fixes. The changelog since 1.1 is almost 300 lines long (1200+ commits). Code quality has improved, in parts thanks to Coverity Scan. We now switched to GitHub completely and have a few buildbots (including one for Windows) to test building and run the test suite on a different platforms.
The build system has switched to autotools, which fixes and improves building on a number of different platforms, CPUs and compilers (gcc, clang and Intel).
Aircrack-ng is now a lot faster on recent CPUs (up to 3 times) and a trampoline binary automatically chooses the best executable for your CPU instructions. There is no need to change any of the commands, it is done transparently. Both those changes will make distro package builder's task easier and they won't have to worry about how to build it to be compatible with the most CPUs.
Continuing with Aircrack-ng, it can also output WPA hashes to EWSA and hashcat format for processing with those tools.
There is 802.11 support in airodump-ng with HT40+/HT40- channels and it now displays the rate correctly for 802.11n or 802.11ac Access Points. For those using GPS, it now supports the recent version of GPSd with JSON.
Airmon-ng itself has a number of improvements in chipset/driver detection. The most notables improvements, on top of new chipset/driver detection, is the support for FreeBSD and on Linux, the support for Nexmon driver (monitor mode driver) on the Raspberry Pi 3 (and 0 Wireless) using Kali. Airtun-ng now supports WPA/2.
For the folks following our release candidates, this doesn't bring much compared to rc5, just a few small fixes and adds UTF8 ESSID support in airodump-ng and aireplay-ng. So, if you are already running 1.2rc5, update is merely advised, otherwise, it is highly recommended.
Changelog from rc5:
- General: Fixed compiling Windows binaries and updated README.md/INSTALLING.
- General: Fixed commands to install dependencies on Debian/Ubuntu and FreeBSD.
- General: Added command to install dependencies on Fedora/CentOS/RHEL.
- General: Removed packages/ directory.
- General: Added Alpine Linux and Kali Linux buildbots.
- General: Fixed configure with --with-libpcap-include=/somewhere/include and --with-libpcap-lib=/somewhere/lib.
- General: Fixed search for ethtool when running as a non-root user.
- General: Various fixes.
- Airmon-ng: Fixed mktemp on Alpine Linux.